Find Assistance

CORONAVIRUS: Find up-to-date information on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) through the Massachusetts Department of Public Health website at or by dialing 2-1-1 from a cell phone or landline. You can also learn more at If you are sick or may have been exposed to coronavirus, follow recommended guidance and contact your health care provider immediately. If you need assistance accessing a health care provider contact Healthcare for All.

If you require emergency back-up, drop-in child care, a directory of approved providers for Massachusetts is available here. Please note that the priority must be given to workers deemed essential for COVID-19 response efforts, including, but not limited to, first responders, health care workers, and grocery store workers.

Information on support for small businesses can be found here.



If you are having problems with Social Security, Medicare, veterans or military affairs, immigration, passports, or other issues involving a government agency, please contact us. We are happy to help Massachusetts residents cut through the red tape, solve problems and answer any questions about your casework.

Agency assistance is a two step process:

  1. Fill out the form below to contact our office. Please provide all contact information, any relevant identification or case numbers, and as much relevant information as possible so that we may quickly to respond to your request.
  2. The Federal Privacy Act requires us to have your written permission before we contact government agencies on your behalf or discuss your case in detail. After completing the form below, please click Generate PDF for a printable PDF copy of the Privacy Act Waiver form. You may also download and fill out our Privacy Act Waiver form.

Once your form is filled out and signed (the law requires your original signature), please mail it to my Boston office at:

Senator Elizabeth Warren
2400 JFK Federal Building
Boston, MA 02203

When we receive your completed form, we will open a case file and keep you informed of our progress.

If you are not a Massachusetts resident, please contact your home state senators or representatives. We will forward requests from residents of other states to one or both of the senators from that state, but that may delay a response to your inquiry.

If your matter is urgent, you may also call our Boston office at (617) 565-3170 or our Springfield office at (413) 788-2690.